Friday, February 24, 2012

3-D Letters

I usually do a typography unit with my 7th graders. It started as just designing letters but then a couple of years ago it turned into creating a 3-d letter with a pattern. They turn out pretty cool and kids like building them. We talk about fonts and typography and look at example. They have to do a "ransom note" style of the vocab in their sketchbook. Next we talk about pattern and they have to design 3-4 patterns for their letter. Next, we start building them. I use little 3/4 oz cups to give it structure and they wrap masking tap around it before painting. They always turn out really cool.

Note: I'm working on getting handouts and other files uploaded here. I do have an assignment sheet for this project.
Sketchbook work 
construction of letters

No comments:

Post a Comment