Friday, March 9, 2012

Robots, robots, everywhere!

Probably some of my best lessons are the ones that come at the last minute, born of desperation. Last year, I had only a few days left in the trimester and was about to start a clay unit with my 6th graders. And my clay was rock hard. I had no time to go get more clay. Time for Plan B. My best friend and I had spent an evening making a robot for a party. We had a blast finding normal items we could "robot-ize" for our project. Suddenly I thought about having my students get in groups of 3-4 to build robots out of recyclable materials. We scrambled around the school to find boxes and lids and other assorted items. I pulled out my box of randoms. They had a blast! Kids still come in to see their robot and I have all grade levels asking if they can make robots.
1st Generation Robots on display
This year I didn't do robots until the second trimester. I decided to include a value/drawing unit. I found these great handouts to help. We talked about shading and students had to use shading in their drawing (at least 3 values).








Next came the fun part. Building a robot! I told students to start bringing in recyclable items to use on their robot. And of course many wanted to go dumpster diving in the back of school. We talked about assembling the robot and the best materials to use (hot glue vs. masking tape) and how to alter items to use (paint, wrapping, etc.) on the robot.
2nd Generation robots watch over class...

It was a fun project and kids totally got into it!

No comments:

Post a Comment